Avoca has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places since 1982. The grounds surrounding the property gained notoriety chiefly for being the homesite of Colonel Charles Lynch (1736-1796) who was a colonial planter and who distinguished himself as lawmaker and soldier during the turbulent time of the Revolutionary Era.
Avoca was built in 1901 by Lynchburg architect John Minor Botts Lewis as a private residence for Thomas Fauntleroy and his wife, Mary Anna Dearing Fauntleroy. The house is built in the Queen Anne Victorian architectural style. Avoca bears several of the customary elements of Queen Anne residence architecture. Among these are its prominent gables, wraparound porch, earth-toned paint scheme, asymmetry, and of course - its beautiful tower. Eclecticism was the order of the day during the period in which the house was built.